What properties can take advantage of the relief available?
If the property is a business property and is empty you may be able to claim empty building relief for 3 months, after 3 months most business will have to start paying full business rates.
Which properties can seek extended property relief:
1. properties owned by charities provided the property will next be used for mostly charitable purposes;
2. buildings that have a rateable value of less the £2600 until they are reoccupied;
3. listed buildings until they are reoccupied;
4.industrial premises like warehouses are exempt for a further 3 months;
5. community amateur sports clubs buildings provided that the next use will mostly be as a sports club.
The following properties are exempt from business rates:-
1. buildings registered for public religious worship or church halls;
2. agricultural land and buildings including fish farms;
3. use of buildings for training or welfare of disable people.
If you have any questions on commercial property matters please feel free to contact me on 01623 448302 or firstname.lastname@example.org.